Do You Have a Fear of Falling?
Otago Exercise Programme
How is your Balance?
- Can you stand with your feet together and eyes closed?
- Do you find it difficult to straighten your spine in standing or when walking?
- Do you clutch at objects when walking around your home?
- Are you wobbly:-
- Can you turn in a full circle?
- Can you stand on one leg?
- Can you step up and over?
- Can you walk with your head turned?
- Do you look to see where your feet are?
- Can you stand or walk and talk at the same time?
- Are you afraid to go outside in case you fall over?
We can help improve your balance and postural stability by using a simple and effective graded exercise programme. The few exercises are illustrated on sheets and are easy to follow.
The system builds up weak muscles associated with poor balance and make you feel more stable. In building stronger muscles you will increase your confidence, mobility and independence.
Falling is serious and frequent in people aged 65 and over. Each year 35% of the over 65s experience one or more falls. About 45% of peole over 80 who live in the community fall each year; 10-25% of these people will sustain an injury.
DO NOT ACCEPT A PROBLEM THAT CAN BE RECTIFIED!
Please contact Cotswold Physiotherapy Centre and Sports Injuries Clinic LLP for further information, or to book an appointment - 01242 228019.